Family Legal & Mediation services

paternity rights

What does establishing paternity mean?

I am a father, and my name is on the birth certificate, so I have rights!

Did you know that if you are a father and have children with someone you are not married to, you do not have rights in the State of Florida? Yes. You read that correctly. Even if your name is on the birth certificate, you still do not have a say-so in where your children sleep at night, what doctors they go to, what school they are enrolled in, and much more unless you establish paternity and there is a final order issued by a Judge stating that you are the biological and legal father of the children. 

Don’t be alarmed. You have options on how to proceed, one of which excludes a hefty battle, attorney’s fees and costs, and publicity in Court.  You matter and your legal interests are important.  If you or someone you know is a dedicated father desiring to ensure he has the same decision-making authority over the children as the mother, consider contacting a family law attorney right away.  Waiting can cost you the loss of time with your children and lots of money spent trying to regain the time lost.  Remain proactive, and make sure that your voice is heard before it is too late. 

Florida Trained Collaborative Family Law Attorney 

Certified Family Mediator 

Certified Guardian Ad Litem 

6750 N. Andrews Avenue 

Suite 200 

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309 

954-933-1569 (Main) 

954-727-8070 ext. 1 (Direct) 

954-933-1574 (Fax) 


Translate »